Monday, November 15, 2010

Outsmarting the Picky Eater

Cade is terrible about being a picky eater. He is incredibly over-sensitive to the sight of food, so even looking at something that someone else is eating will make him throw up... he got to the point where he was literally only eating frozen waffles, grilled cheese, and milk. We started him in a toddler class for kids who have eating issues, and things have gotten SO much better. They saved my sanity. I thought that I should pay it forward and pass on some of the tricks I've learned...

1. Shake it. Make milk shakes out of everything. No really, everything. Cade loves the raspberry/avacado/sweet potato blend. Mix it with half and half for extra calories. Instant Breakfast mix will add some vitamins and nutrients too.
2. Dip it. Mix pureed vegetables into ketschup or ranch dressing. Let them dip pretzels, chips, or crackers into it. Nutella is an awesome dip too.
3. Glam it up. I top everything with cool whip, sprinkles, or mini m&m's. You can also use fun cookie cutters to cut out sandwiches.
4. Name it. Don't say "eat your fruits and veggies"... say "eat your CARROT SWORDS or BANANA WHEELS." Be creative.
5. Play with it. I'm not a mom who cares about playing with your food. I think it's a great opportunity for pretend play, and it helps take Cade's mind off of the stress of it.
6. Let peer pressure work for you. Cade does 1000% better if he sees other kids eating it too. We love lunch play-dates.

We still aren't to the point where I can make one meal for the whole family (wouldn't that be something?!), but at least I'm not having to wash pukey clothes after every meal!

3 comments:

crystal carlson said...

Chelsea! I'm so excited I stumbled across your blog (I hope that's okay)! It's been such a long time since I've seen you--hopefully you remember me! You look SO good & have such a beautiful family! BTW, I LOVE your hair--so cute!

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

Awesome ideas Chelsea!! You are such a Great Mom! My dream is to have us all eat one meal, instead of making our meal and then throwing in chicken nuggets for Bos. I will try these!

jessica said...

I love this idea.