Saturday, August 14, 2010

We ♥ ASL

We started signing with Cade after he turned two, since he was only speaking a few words, and was throwing terrible tantrums as a means of communication. I had seen other toddlers and babies using signs before, but I always thought that it would just delay speech, since they could use a sign to get what they wanted instead of a word. I was so wrong!!! I have talked with several speech therapists who have explained to me that using ASL helps improve a childs attention span and eye contact, which are both necessary prerequisites for speaking. Cade is now using about 30 signs, and has picked up about 20 words... and is SO much happier now that he can tell us what he's thinking. It's so much fun to watch how excited he gets when he gives me a sign and I understand what he is telling me. I'm a firm believer in signing with babies now and am totally going to do it with all of my kids.

5 comments:

Janet "Grammy" Harrold said...

Hello Murphy family,

I just came across your blog through google alerts. I am the grandmother to beautiful Hailey, Hailey has C.P. and is considered non verbal. I have recently started to learn ASL and proudly say i know over 100 signs (yeah)I was so glad to read your blog as I also believe it will help Hailey's level of frustration. The problem is that my son and daughter in law are not convinced. They don't have a problem with my husband and I learning but they are not very agressive with Hailey's learning it, They do think it may discourage her from using her words. In their defense, she does really try hard to use her voice,and I would love it if she never actually NEEDS sign,but the few signs that she does use helps her and us so much.

Magen said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Yay! I am excited! I am adding you to my friends list!

Pink Nothings said...

you should check out Baby Signing Time videos. I loveee them and so does Joseph

JT, Carly, Boston, Jocelyn and Snuggles said...

That's great! I should try doing more signs with Jocelyn. She does sign please and just recently started saying please with her sign. So glad to hear Cade is doing so well!

Cheryl Sanders said...

You are such a good mom! So proud of Cade, I know it helps his frustration to be able to communicate easier. I know he will be talking your ear off but it will be awesome to still be able to communicate in the beautiful art of signing. I am mesmerized when I see people communicating with ASL.